Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Baby Steps


Today I feel inspired to write about Mentors.

When a child learns to walk it happens in stages. At first they just stand with the support. As they get stronger they actually pull themselves up and are able to support themselves as they cling to something. They get excited when they actually stand with no support and we hold our breath almost counting the seconds that they keep their balance and stand on their own. Next they walk with us, sometimes stumbling. But when that happens, we pick them up and hold their hand and encourage them to go again. And won’t you agree that as they take their first steps we watch and cheer wanting them to succeed. We encourage them to try again and we clap at each little trip they make. Again and again they are able to walk on their own and they get stronger and can go farther.

And then everything changes… they walk, they run, they jump, they play and as onlookers who helped them reach that goal we watch and beam with great pride at their success and growth.

Throughout my life I have had people who have inspired me and stirred my heart to be more. Some have pushed me and some have pulled me. Others have guided me as if holding my hand at every step. Some have stayed with me through my successes and others have helped me get up when I’ve fallen down. Sadly, some have left for one reason or another, leaving a mark on my life. And there are a beloved few who I feel will always be there and will look on with encouragement and pride.

Why did they help me? They saw something that I didn’t know existed in me and they believed in me. As a Once Timid Networker, not only did I thrive on that guidance but I have also learned to crave it.

For those of you, who see “something” in a person, please allow yourself to be lead by those thoughts and become a mentor. Let them borrow your belief until they can make it their own. For those of you who are timid… allow yourself to be led, supported and be cheered on. You will be surprised at what will happen. I was…

To my family and my very dear friends (you know who you are), thank you!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Tara,

    I know we have still not met, but yet again, your theme is very close to my heart, this is very inspiring, keep it up,its brilliant !!

    Noel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara,
    You are also a mentor and inspiration to many. In spite of being "timid", you've embraced new, and scary, opportunities that develop and polish the wonderful skills, talents, and abilities you have within. Your genuine love, compassion, and helpful nature has touched my heart and helped me become a better person. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noel,
    I'm so excited to meet you! I truly appreciate your kind words. I would love to hear your story sometime, it sounds like you just might have one and I would love to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue,
    You are so very dear. Your words overwhelm me. Your encouragement and coaching and friendship have helped me step beyond being timid and become the person I always wanted to be. Thank YOU so very much.

    ReplyDelete