Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Today I was remembered!

Today something happened that has set me beaming!

I was at Starbucks waiting for my coffee and noticed a lady sitting at a table by herself but obviously waiting for someone. I recognized her and jogged my memory for her name… Lesley! I had done some design work and custom sewing for her probably 15 or so years ago and always really enjoyed her. I stood there waiting and before I knew it, I was talking to her and she confirmed that she was the Lesley I knew. She recognized and remembered me and we did the exchange of business cards and “What have you been up to?” When I told her that I do custom sewing for homes, she immediately said, “I need you!” She then filled me in on some projects she would like my help with.

I have spent years reintroducing myself to people or worse, not followed up because, "maybe too much time has gone by and they won’t remember me". My insecurities have been grounded too! I can’t tell you how many times I have spent time with someone and gotten to know them and then when I saw them again, they had no clue who I was. I felt completely forgettable and unfortunately it had hindered me to quite a degree.
Have you or someone you know fallen into this trap? Is it keeping you from progressing in some way? Could you be missing out on business? What can you do to make talking to people that you have previously met, easier?
  1. Stand up tall and put a smile on your face! Having good posture not only gives you confidence but gives the appearance to others that you are. Smiling is just always good form. It makes you feel good and it’s contagious.
  2. When you make the move to talk to them, reintroduce yourself with not only your name but also a reminder of the conversation that you had held previously. If you remember the event or location throw that in too.
  3. Make eye contact. You can’t recognize someone you know if you aren’t aware of your surroundings and who is there.

Today I approached and spoke to someone I recognized from my past. To a confident person that may seem like a small thing. But to a Once Timid Networker, I realized I got out of my own way! It wasn’t hard and there was nothing to lose. The worst that could have happened was she didn’t know who I was. But that isn’t what happened. I am no longer that introverted, shy girl who wouldn’t look a person in the eye and it felt good. I sipped my first iced coffee of the year, and I as I drove away I had a little party in my head celebrating!


Tara Schmakel

The Workroom at Tara's

No comments:

Post a Comment